Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Retro-Wednesday...




On top of collecting Old Radio's, Stereos, Harley stuff, Baseball Cards, Comics, Old Fishing Gear, Etc....I have a fairly interesting array of knives.
This knife was given to me by my Grandpa, and it was made by The Colonial Knife Company of Providence Rhode Island.
Colonial got it's start in 1919, when a blacksmith named Antonio Paolantonio returned home from WWI, and began making Knives. It was originally called The A. Paolantonio Cutlery Co. The business grew, and in 1926 he took on his 2 brothers as partners, and changed the name to The Colonial Knife Co.
When WWII broke out, he was asked to join the War Production Board, and helped develope a polymer for knife handles that could be boiled and sterilized for medics in the field without melting. These polymer handles were later added to the Colonial knife.
Over the years the company grew even larger, and in the 60's (when this knife that I have shown was made) was one of the largest producers of pocket knives in the country.
In 1998, Colonial closed it's doors and sort of faded into history as one of the last of the great pocket knife manufacturing firms. Many original Colonial knives are worth hundreds of dollars to collectors. In 2001 the name Colonial was bought by CCI Inc. (Colonial Cutlery International). And to their credit, still produce many of the traditional knives originally sold by Colonial Knife. But I don't think that Japanese or Pakistani steel knives are the same.
I keep this knife in my desk drawer at work, and of course I use it every day...
Peace...!!!

12 comments:

Serena said...

That looks a lot like a knife my granddaddy used to have. He'd pitch a fit when we kids would sneak it out and play circus with it.:)

Maude Lynn said...

My papa had one like that!

clean and crazy said...

I have an old Case of my daddy's. probably not worth much but it means the world to me. i like yours too.

Akelamalu said...

That was interesting information about the knife but I'm sure it's special to you just because it was your grandaddy's. :)

the walking man said...

Last good knife I had, I traded for a $5 bag of pot, two hits of mescaline and a ticket to see the REO Speed Wagon opening for Santana opening for the Stones.

I thought it a good idea at the time.

Cazzie!!! said...

I wish I had my Dad's knife to photograph for you. My brother and I used to "borrow" it to shape our arrows and stuff. Awesome!

lime said...

i think i remember one like that belonging to my grandfather. cool! thanks for sharing.

Shadow said...

an what do u use it 4 every day????

Lulda Casadaga said...

Boy that brings back memories...my grandfather had one like that and he used it to peel apples. :) He was very handy with the knife...after all he was a carpenter! :)

buffalodick said...

Remember Olsen knives in Big Rapids MI? They went to foreign steels, then went out of business...

G-Man said...

Sherry...? Circus?...:-) xo

Mama Zen..I'm prolly older than your Papa..

Case knives are awesome, I have several. Thanks Sue

Yes Indeed Ake...

Mark....? Been there.

Hi Cazz...Glad it brought back some good memories.

Your Welcome Trini..

Shadow...I use it for stuff. Mens stuff!

Thanks Lulda...

Buff...I remember them well. I own an Olsen knife.

JihadGene said...

My Dad always had a small one like that. Cleaned his fingernails with it. I haven't thought of that in years...thanks!