Thursday, December 6, 2007

Friday 55.........



In the Fall of "68", I pledged and joined a Fraternity at our local college. Phi Delta Tau!!
We had the only Fraternity house on campus, and we partied like there was no tomorrow. Our pledging process was quite difficult, and those that made it through became very close friends.
The close friends that I have to this day are my Fraternity Brothers..Alex, Berky, Wiggy, et al!
In the Spring of "71", a young brash kid just out of high school, by the name of Edward Jack Kintner joined Phi Delta Tau. He went by the name of Ned, and we called him "Deadly Nedly"!
For some odd reason, we became very close. We loved to hunt and fish...We loved to smoke and drink..We loved party and go to concerts. We had a blast!!..Ned was never very book-smart, and like all Flintoids at the time, if you got a chance to work for GM, you took it! So at age 20, he started work on the assembly line at GM. I finished my degree(Eventually), but we remained very close friends. We went to many many concerts, we closed many many bars... Ned, myself, and Alex, used to go fishing every June to Northern Ontario for the greatest Wall-Eye fishing in the world! The first time I ever rode a Harley-Davidson, was Ned's Harley at Alex's wedding reception. After that I was "Hooked on Hogs"!! We went to Florida together for Spring Break one year, and drove strait-thru blasting "Radar-Love" by Golden Earring, and "Dead Babies" by Alice Cooper the whole way down on his 8-Track..
Ned transfered to a Lansing GM plant 20 years ago, and when he was 50, he retired. He moved to a beautiful spot on the western part of Michigan after he retired, and never married! You could never tie that boy down! He still loved to hunt, and fish, and ride his Harley!!
Last Monday, Ned had a massive stroke and lay paralyzed in a hospital in Muskegon ever since he was found unconscious by a neighbor on Thursday. He was expected to live and pull through it, but this morning I got a call from his brother Tom( also a Fraternity Brother), and he said that Ned went to sleep last night, and never woke up!! You might as well have Gut-Shot me!!
I have been meaning to call Ned for about the last 6 month's but didn't...
Now I never can...
When Tom ended his conversation with me today, the last thing I said to him was "Tom, I love you"...He replied.."Galen, I love you"...Everything else was understood!!!!!
x
x
We had great fun Nedly,
My long and loyal friend
We thought we were immortal
That the party would never end
But the years catch up to you
Time is never on your side...
So buckle-up, and rev it up..
For that long final ride!!!
Soon enough brother...We'll be riding side by side!!

33 comments:

Serena said...

Oh, Galen, that's SO sad. I was okay 'til I got to the actual 55. NOW I need the Kleenex. I know you're going to miss him. RIP, Ned.
xoxox

Breazy said...

Galen I am so sorry to hear about your friend Ned. My prayers are with you, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

xoxo

javajazz said...

oh jeez, Galen,
are you trying to make
EVERYBODY cry here?
argh...!
i'm SO sorry.
this must have really shook you up.
we think its gonna go on forever
but sometimes it just doesn't.
i'm really sorry to hear about this
sad loss of such a dear friend...
i'm sure you will be a comfort
to his brother at this time...
sending love and condolences xoxo

Little Wing said...

That was a very sad story to read, but such a heart warming 55....what a great tribute you paid to Nedly.
If you go to his funeral or a memorial service for him, I would have to suggest you ask to be allowed to read your beautiful poem. It doesn't get any better than that Gman.
Our hearts are with you, hugs.

Little Wing said...

G-Man, I put up a post for you, everyone is welcome to read it.

Mona said...

Goodbye to you, my trusted friend.
We've known each other since we're nine or ten.
Together we climbed hills or trees.
Learned of love and ABC's,
skinned our hearts and skinned our knees.
Goodbye my friend, it's hard to die,
when all the birds are singing in the sky,
Now that the spring is in the air.
Pretty girls are everywhere.
When you see them I'll be there.
We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.
But the hills that we climbed
were just seasons out of time.
Goodbye, Papa, please pray for me,
I was the black sheep of the family.
You tried to teach me right from wrong.
Too much wine and too much song,
wonder how I get along.
Goodbye, Papa, it's hard to die
when all the birds are singing in the sky,
Now that the spring is in the air.
Little children everywhere.
When you see them I'll be there.
We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.
But the wine and the song,
like the seasons, all have gone.
Goodbye, Michelle, my little one.
You gave me love and helped me find the sun.
And every time that I was down
you would always come around
and get my feet back on the ground.
Goodbye, Michelle, it's hard to die
when all the bird are singing in the sky,
Now that the spring is in the air.
With the flowers ev'rywhere.
I wish that we could both be there.
We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.
But the stars we could reach
were just starfishs on the beach

Mona said...

that post reminded me of that song...

tsduff said...

Galen, I'm struck by the memories you shared about your friend Deadly Nedly. I'm sorry for your loss - and for the fact you didn't get around to calling him. We all have those folks in our lives, who may just wink out without touching base...hugs to you big guy.

smarmoofus said...

What a wonderful tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have such great memories, though. I know you regret the phone calls you didn't make, or things that weren't said, but as you acknowledged regarding your last words to Tom, everything was understood. Ned understood, too.

dickiebo said...

Yay, G-Man. I'm so sorry mate. But you both enjoyed such happy memories that they will outlast even this grief.
A wonderful 55.
With you in spirit, pal.

Evalinn said...

I´m so sorry G-man. Beautiful post!

lime said...

i'm so sorry to hear it. galen. you know my thoughts are with you. such an awful shock. i hope you and your frat brother friends can all comfort each other and remember him well in ways that put smiles on your faces.

peace and hugs, my friend

Snow White said...

Hugs, G-Man... awesome 55! xoxox

Queenie said...

Galen what a wonderful tribute to your friend.
The people we love know that we love them without us always saying, Ned knew.
Such fantastic memories you both shared, your post and 55 said it all.

barman said...

Wow, now you got me tearing up to. It is sad how we can drift apart from friends who mean so much to us. It is moments like this that just make us appreciate everyone so much more. I feel for you brother...

Oh and for some reason this song came to mind when I saw this post. I could not remember what the song was but finally found it. So let me copy it here kind of like a tribute to you and your brother.

Mel Tillis - My Ramblin' Boy

He was a man and a friend always he stuck with me in the hard old days
He never cared if I had no dough we rambled round in the rain and snow
And here's to you my ramblin' boy may all your ramblin' bring you joy
And here's to you my ramblin' boy may all your ramblin' bring you joy

In Tulsa town we chanced to straight we thought we'd try to work one day
The boss said he had a room for one said my old pal we'd rather bum
And here's to you my ramblin' boy...
[ harmonica ]
Then late one night in a jungle camp the weather it was cold and damp
And he got the chills and got them bad they took the only friend I had
And here's to you my ramblin' boy...
May all your ramblin' bring you joy

airplanejayne said...

what a great 55 you wrote for your friend.

Charles said...

Touching tribute, Galen, I hope you're doing OK. Sorry about Ned, sounds like he was a wonderful friend and you were lucky enough to be counted among his, and he'll always live in your heart.

S said...

Oh Galen, I am so sorry that you have lost such a special friend.

I am sure he's already fired up your hog and has his gloves on, rebel helmet, dark glasses.....

I do not have a 55 yet...eeek!

snowelf said...

Galen,

I am sending comforting hugs your ways. Our best friends always seem immortal, don't they. Luckily they get to live on in our hearts forever.

love you,
--snow

Karin's Korner said...

I am so sorry for your loss, that is a wonderful blog. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cha Cha said...

Rest In Peace, Deadly Nedly, and may you ride like lightning among Heaven's Angels.

I'm really sorry about Ned, Galen.

I love you.

And I loved your bit about Bugs and Renfield and Queen Bees.

And I love your Christmas tree.

Akelamalu said...

Your 55 is a great tribute to your friend. I'm sure he knew that you love him, friends usually do, and love goes on forever. ((hugs))

S said...

OK my 55 is finally ready.

Hugs Gman! XXX

Casdok said...

More hugs

SignGurl said...

Galen, I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard this is for you. Please forgive me for being such an ass.

xoxoxoxoxo Love You xoxoxoxoxoxo

G-Man said...

Hi everybody!!
All you guys rock!!!
I'll catch up to you after I get back...Borders Night...
xoxox

Manny said...

I love you man!

Raymond said...

I am going to do a shot for you my man. Hang in there.

GAB said...

Galen I'm so sorry. My prayers are with you. Hugs.

G-Man said...

Serena..Thanks
Breazy..Get better soon
Lisa...Thanks Yenta
LW..What you did was very awesome Thanks..
Missy..Your a great friend.
Mona...Marvelous
Terry..Thanks..xox
Smarfoofus..Thank You
Dickiebo..Thanks brother
Evalinn..Thanks
Lime..xoxoxox
Di...Thanks
Queenie..xoxox
Bryan..That was awesome Thanks
Airplanejayne..What a great honor it is for you to visit my blog thanks, you are always welcome here..
Charles..Thanks
Susie..xoxoxox
Snow..You Rock..xox
Karen..Thanks
Ake..xoxox
Casdok..Thanks again
Chandra..Thanks sweetie, I know in your way that tells me that you did some back reading..Miss You
Jenn..xoxox
Candy Cane..xox
Janis..Thanks again
Gale..xoxox

morgetron said...

OH G-Man,

I just read this for the first time today. I'm so sorry to hear about this. You are such a good friend with such a big heart, so I'm sure your heart is broken right now.

I will pray for you and yours and Ned's family too.

Love yah!
-Jodie

MarmiteToasty said...

So sorry for the loss of your friend, what wonderful special memories you have of him to carry with you.....

x

Marja said...

Little wing told about the wonderful tribute to your friend and it is very touching and heartbreaking. I sent you all my blessings and wish you all the strenght