Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Awesome HNT............


Happy HNT everybody, as a rule I don't usually have commentary with my weekly pic, but today is a little bit special. This is my friend Johnny Awesome! Johnny has a bar act that is THE best live and 'up close' concert that you would ever attend...
First, I'll give you a little background on him. Johnny grew up in Florida in the late 60's and had a 'garage band' for 4 years already by then. At age 17 he joined the US Air Force, and got stationed in Tunisia. While in North Africa, A British Officer of very high rank, accidently overheard Johnny strumming a guitar on his spare time. The officer was so impressed with Johnny, that he sponsored him to go to some music conservatory in London. At this school, Johnny's musical career turned around completely. He learned the fundamentals and 'science' of music.. A whole new world opened up to him! Instead of just being able to play a Fender Stratocaster only, he now could play...Bass, Keyboards, Drums, Harmonica, and Really kick-ass on the guitar!!! After the service, he settled back to Florida, where he made a very decent living for over 30 years......OK, so his act is that he is a One Man Band...He has the ability to record himself playing all of the instuments, and overdubbing them so it sounds like he has a back-up band, but it is ALL him !! He plays live guitar and sings live, but all of the music is him...
I'm telling you he does Clapton, Hendrix, R.E.M., Bob Segar, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and to throw you off, he has Many Many compositions that he wrote himself. Anyway...On the 1st Friday of every month, he plays at this little hole-in-the-wall dump called "Down the Hatch-West"....
My watering hole...No Cover, and 2.00 pitchers!!!! Everytime he gets done playing a tune, the place goes crazy, and someone always is heard muttering...That guy is AWESOME!!
And he is...He's Johnny Awesome!
HHNT...... Peace!

32 comments:

Manny said...

So you are saying the boys got rythm. I felt a little ACDC there for a minute. Quick, call Sign! LOL

I'm first!

xo

Manny said...

Very nice picture G.

Serena said...

I've heard a lot about Johnny. You two together look like you're up to no good, that's for sure. Rock on!
xoxox

lime said...

very cool! if i ever make it back to your neck of the woods i hope it's on a first friday so you can take me to hear him

HHNT

Little Wing said...

Cool HNT !!!!!!

Just for the record, I want everyone to know that one of my cyber trolls now has her blog tagged by google.
If enough people complain, it can be done.
Her blog will stay tagged as containing objectable content, but it's a start.

Cyber bullies are pukes in my book.

Just wanted ya all to know!

Rock On!

S said...

Cool! So fun to have awesome friends like that, I bet he is a blast.

HHNT Gman!

Mona said...

YAYYY! Galen & Johnny Rock together!

Galen Do you know I could never spell Johnny correctly in school & got punished for that. I have still not been able to learn the spelling & always make a mistake with that name that got me caned by my teacher.

I guess that the line 'that guy is awesome' is intrinsic to people from Florida. I have heard that before...

Mona said...

GALEN GALEN! what a wonderful HNT at Sign Gurl's!!!!

Cazzie!!! said...

Awesome stuff Galen :)

Manny said...

Oh brother...

K, got get dressed for the doctor so i can get my return to work slip. #%&$#*&%

SignGurl said...

You look all drunk and stuff. Were you? Hehehe!!! I'll never tell...oops, I guess I just did.

You are super hot!!! G!

Happy Half Nekkid Thursday!

Manny said...

I wish you could come out and play. You'll miss me when I'm gone. LOL

Scary Monster said...

Thar ain't nuthin like bein in a crowded bar half tanked and watchin a man with magic fingers makin love to he instrument in public.

STOMP.

S said...

Gman you and Tricia rock.

Stonehenge.....:P

GAB said...

that is so cool now I wish I could see his act.
You two look like the cat who swollowed the canary.(sp)? lol

TK Kerouac said...

Very nice, you have a pack of interesting friends
Happy HNT!

24crayons said...

HHNT! I love that you had a story with your picture!

Anonymous said...

Hats off to you G-man and Johnny Awesome.
HHNT
tc

Queenie said...

See how the British can spot talent, thats why I visit you Mr G.

Naughty K said...

It looks like it would be a blast to hang out with the two of you.... Happy HNT!

Charles said...

You always hear yourself say that, huh? :D
Hey,Johnny's not the only talent to come out of Florida. I'll leave that exercise to you, G.

LW,
I know I tagged them when you were in the middle of that quagmire. Whether anyone else may have, I don't know.

Crabby said...

Ok...that guy seriously rocks out, if he can play Clapton. Can't believe he left warm weather and went to Michigan. You guys are as cold in winter as we are.
So....Sign says you were wasted in that pic. I'm just wondering...how many of those $2 pitchers did that take?
Ignore Manny, she's telling everybody they're gonna miss her when she's gone. She's not going back till Tuesday. tsk tsk.

Johanne said...

Nice to meet you Johnny!
HHNT!

G-Man said...

Hi Manny..
Congratulations on securing the top spot!!
Thanks sweetie!!..xoxo

Serena Joy Rocks!
She has been rockin for years.
Will she ever stop Rockin?

There Red, a Haiku'd response..hehehe xobgxo

Yeah? And we can share some Whistlepig Hard Cider..xoxox

Jadey.....?
Remember, I hate all talk of Puke!
hehehe..xox

Susie...Thanks
xoxox

Mona..
You couldn't spell Jonny?
xoxmrxoxox

Cazzie...
Thanks Aussi Angel of Mercy ..xoxo

Jenn...
You sure know about drunk pics don't you?
Thanks for noticing..xox

Manny...
It's about time, don't you think?..xox

Scarey Monster...
You got that right!!
Thanks brother..

Susie...?
Hehehe..Thanks..
Of course, it was your post that rocked!!
xox

Gabby Gale..
CHIRP!..BURP!!!
xox

Tracy..
Thanks..HHNT to you too.
xox

24 Crayons...?
Thanks for returning..You are always welcome..Galen

Top Cat..
Thanks Mr. Rick..
Always glad to see my Michigan Brother..

Queenie,
I was hoping you would appreciate the British connection..Hope you get better soon..xoxox

Naughty K...?
I've never seen you here before..Welcome to the Jungle...Galen
And Thanks

Charles..
Who may you be referring to? A computer Programmer?

Missy...
Thank you sweetie...
I like it when you call me boyo..xox

Crabby...
I know she's whining about work already. Poor thing..hahaha..xox

Searabbit...
Hi Jo, I hope you are feeling better too sweetie..xox

G-Man said...

OK Missy, mine will be up soon also!!

Manny said...

Can G come out to play?

Manny said...

And you will miss me when I'm gone.

Manny said...

You know a working Manny is a Manny who doesn't get to play.

morgetron said...

Hey G -- Does Johnny know how awesome you are?

-J

T - Another Geek Girl said...

Now that looks like fun!

Nothing like a good hard rocking band in a small venue. I can't get enough.

HHNT!

javajazz said...

Johnny Awesome sounds awesome, G.
what a cool picture
especially you and your earring.
you look like
a rebel without a cause,
or maybe with a cause....
cool sounding music man.
Michigan sounds like
a great little town,
all these characters floating about!

tsduff said...

Oh - I thought I left a comment here!! Boo hoo. This was a wonderful post - and I swear that guy looks familiar! Anyone with all that musical talent is one class act!

I was teaching my grandson how to play my accordian over the weekend.